Search This Blog

Monday, January 16, 2012

Aaron Rodgers

Aaron Rodgers is a name who will not soon be forgotten anytime soon. Four years ago he rose out of the shadows of a future hall of famer Brett Farvre. He was drafted in the first round in the 2005 NFL draft but was never given a shot. He rode the bench playing less than 3 games a season. But, in 2008 he finally got his shot. Aaron Rodgers said his first season starting, “I'm going to keep plugging away. I've said from the start that whatever happens happens as long as I continue to get better. That's what's frustrating because I didn't get better. I didn't make strides where I wanted to. Obviously I didn't make a strong case for being No. 2 tonight.”He followed up on his word improving in every aspect of the game and showing lots of courage. Only 4 seasons later and he nearly led his team to a perfect season going 15-1. That shows the ability to be a team player and leader and he certainly deserves to be honored as player of the day.

Since I hope to play linebacker in high school he has shown me what to do. I know it may seem weird considering that he is a quarter back and I’m a linebacker but the leadership he has shown me has definitely influenced me. The quarterback is the heart of the offense and nine times out of ten the linebacker is the heart of the defense. He has showed me how to push my teammates to strive for the best. When I played Pop Warner I was placed on the offensive line. I was furious with my coaches’ decision and wasn’t given a chance to play defense. I was riding the bench on defense and was only occasionally put in. One day my coaches gave me a chance. It was fourth down and our opponent was going for a 2pt. conversion. Hike was called and that set a spark off in me. I threw the left tackle off of me like a ragdoll and forced a fumble. The coaches saw what I had in me and I played defense a few more games. Just like Aaron Rodgers, I took the shot the coaches gave me and turned it into something.

When you fall down you must get back up and turn it into something else. The time I had forced the fumble I got back up. I didn’t tell you about the play prior to that because it is embarrassing. But, it fits in the moment. The play I didn’t tell you about I was the one getting manhandled. But when you fall down you must get back up. There are many stories, songs you name it, movies about this motto. Aaron Rodgers even had his own version of this saying at a press conference, “Tonight is not a setback. It's just a learning experience.” That’s why I believe that everybody makes mistakes, but it’s what they do after those setbacks that determine (in this case) what type of player they are and Aaron Rodgers is a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment